Destination Marketing Association International (DMAI) Chairman Gary Sherwin, CDME and President and CEO Don Welsh announced the association’s 2017 Business Plan has been published online.
Industry insights and feedback gleaned from the 2016 listening tour, paired with extensive analysis across all operational facets of the association contributed to a planning process [for the plan].
“Don and his leadership team really listened to our members and, as a result, prioritized the association’s goals and objectives to deliver [essential] resources our members,” Sherwin said. “These resources, as determined by our members, include: professional development, certification, accreditation and advocacy support along with scalable and timely products and services.”
The following strategic goals will direct all DMAI initiatives throughout the plan:
- Industry Advocacy Leadership: Become the recognized advocate for the DMO industry.
- International Impact: Expand DMAI’s international footprint to grow membership, non-dues revenue and global impact.
- Strategic Partnerships: Transform DMAI’s partnership business model to create beneficial solutions for DMOs, partners and DMAI.
- Next Generation Professional Development: Become the premier source for destination marketing and management education and professional development.
“2016 was filled with first-time achievements and initiatives,” Welsh said. “We exist for the sole purpose of supporting our members—to inform, connect, inspire and educate in an effort to drive destination economic impact, job creation, community sustainability and quality of life through travel.”
DMAI said it seeks to raise the level of professionalism within the DMO industry by delivering impactful products and services. Two key initiatives that the DMAI team and its Boards have been actively working to elevate include Destination Showcase and its member Summits. Registration for the 2017 Destination Showcase taking place Thurs., March 2, 2017 at the Marriott Wardman Park is now open. Planners are invited to attend this FREE event which has been redesigned to maximize networking and education.
Additionally, the Association released the expanded roster of member Summits, including the new Convention Services Summit, along with dates and locations:
- CEO Summit, March 20-22, Nashville, Tenn.
- CMO Summit, April 23-25, Denver.
- Visitor Services Summit, Sept. 24-26, Columbus, Ohio.
- Convention Services Summit, Sept. 27, Columbus, Ohio (New)
- Membership Summit, Oct. 23-26, Charlotte, N.C.
- Finance and Operations Summit, Nov. 2017 (location TBD)
- Convention Sales Summit, Dec. 2017, Chicago.
In 2017 and beyond, DMAI said it will continue to provide its members with the resources they want. This includes but is not limited to: research, networking opportunities, professional development and certification programs, all keeping both individuals and organizations at the front of the industry curve.