The American Hotel & Lodging Association (AHLA) launched “Dreams Happen Here,” a national campaign focused on the economic benefits the hotel industry brings to communities. AHLA’s new data claims the hotel industry supports eight million jobs across the country and contributes nearly $600 billion annually to the U.S. GDP, making a case for the industry and its positive impact across the U.S.
Conducted by Oxford Economics, this is said to be the most thorough economic impact analysis of the industry to date, showcasing the depth and breadth of the industry and its value to the communities they serve, advancing lifelong careers, investing in local development and boosting opportunities.
As part of the campaign, AHLA is launching a week of hospitality-focused activities in Washington, D.C. to showcase the strength of the industry and the jobs to Capitol Hill and the new administration.
Some of the key findings from the Oxford Economics research include:
- More than one billion guests stay in hotels every year.
- Hotels support $1.1 trillion in U.S. sales, including hotel revenue, guest spending and taxes.
- Hotels generate $170 billion in local, state and federal taxes.
- Hotels contribute nearly $600 billion to the U.S. GDP.
- Guests spend nearly $500 billion at hotels and local businesses.
The full report and additional documents are available for viewing on the AHLA website.