LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla.
The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort completed the largest transformation in the resort’s history: a $140 million, three-year project which included a redesign of all guest rooms, a complete transformation of the Dolphin Resort lobby and the renovation of all of the resort’s meeting space.
“This is both a huge accomplishment for our team and a significant moment for our guests,” said Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort General Manager Fred Sawyers. “With the transformation now complete, our guests can enjoy a stylish new look, new amenities, the latest in technology, an operation with more than a quarter century of excellence in serving guests and a prime location at Walt Disney.”
The completion of the project also means the resort returns to operating at full capacity in time for the openings of Toy Story Land (2018) and Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge (2019) at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.
The resort celebrated the milestone with a special ceremony on Thursday, Sept. 28.
Here’s a summary of the redesign as provided by Walt Disney World Swam and Dolphin Resort.
- All 2,267 guest rooms were completely transformed to a new look which reflects the resort’s water-themed architecture. Interior design and architecture firm Garcia Stromberg/GS4 Studios designed the rooms, drawing inspiration from the resort’s original designer, Michael Graves.
- Technology upgrades include the addition of more outlets and USB ports for charging devices and new high-definition TVs. The resort will also soon introduce new interactive TV software.
- The new Dolphin Resort lobby, designed by ICRAVE, features a contemporary look with a new geometric ceiling, enhanced lighting and more than double the amount of guest seating.
- For the first time since its opening, the resort has built a completely new dining venue. Located in the Dolphin lobby, fuel offers high-quality quick service and grab-and-go food and drink options for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Breakfast options include pastries from world-champion pastry chef Laurent Branlard, muffins, breakfast sandwiches and wraps and a variety of coffee, tea and espresso options. Lunch and dinner options include sandwiches and salads.
- Phins, a new bar centrally located in the Dolphin lobby and seating up to 150 guests, offers wines, beers and cocktails along with appetizers perfect for sharing. Signature offerings include the resort’s own craft brew Phins & Feathers, wine on tap and creative cocktails.
- Coming soon will be new private poolside cabanas furnished with lounge seating, tables, fans, refrigerators and television for rental. Each cabana will include full food and beverage service
- A new 2,800-square-foot meeting and event space, Lake View, offers scenic outdoor views of the resort’s private lake and picturesque Dolphin Resort. In addition, all of the resort’s 332,000 square feet of meeting space has been transformed with an updated appearance
- New technology includes electronic reader boards throughout the meeting space and the latest in high-density Wi-Fi offering high-speed, uninterrupted internet to groups as large as 15,000.