According to the U.S. Travel Association, Americans take 2.1 billion trips for business or leisure annually. Unfortunately, your health takes a toll when you are in constant motion, introduced to new places and environments, and in contact with others. During January’s National Staying Healthy Month, Savvy Travelers suggests 5 tips for busy travelers to stay healthy while on the move.
“In my experience, travelers find it hard to concentrate on their health when they are focused on catching a flight or trying to make it to the next stop on the road,” said Tina Aldatz, CEO of Savvy Travelers. “Luckily, there are simple steps that travelers can take to stay healthy, whether they are traveling by plane, train, bus or car.”
January is National Staying Healthy Month to promote the exchange of ideas to become healthy and stay healthy. Here are Savvy Travelers suggests of 5 simple tips to stay healthy while traveling:
- Boost your system. Before embarking on your journey, be sure to take vitamins and supplements daily, such as Vitamin C for a healthy immune system.
- While enjoying your vacation, it’s important to maintain an exercise routine. If the weather is poor, locate a local gym or an indoor class, such as Zumba, yoga, or Pilates. You’ll find that after a long flight or cramped car ride, exercising with reinvigorate your body.
- Limit Alcohol. While vacations are a time for rest and relaxation, consumption of alcohol can slow you down. Alcohol creates fatigue and dehydrates your body. In addition, airplane air is extremely dry, so be sure to drink water often.
- Brush. While traveling, it’s difficult to do the routine cleanings without easy access to water and toiletries. Germs live by the thousands in your mouth and it’s important to keep at it.
- Traveling exposes people to numerous germs that could lead them to become sick. According to the Journal of Environmental Health, you may be 100 more times to catch a cold on a plane than in your day-to-day life. One of the most effective ways to fight back against this is to sanitize using wipes for not only your hands, but the surfaces around you, like electronic devices.
“Once you become sick while traveling, the trip is ruined,” affirms Aldatz. “Staying on top of your health while traveling doesn’t have to be difficult … just follow a few simple steps to feel your best.”
About Savvy Travelers (SavvyTravelers.com): Savvy Travelers is a California company dedicated to overall travel wellness while offering lifestyle components for both personal and surface use.