Alaska, Hawaiian, American, United and Delta Airlines are waiving change fees and Alaska is also offering full refunds for travel to Hawaii as Hurricane Lane barrels toward the islands.
Alaska Airlines Details
According to Alaska Airlines, travelers flying to Kauai (LUH), Kona (KOA), Maui (OGG) and Oahu (HNL) can apply for a full refund or opt to have their change fees waived and the difference in the price of the new ticket for service in the same cabin and if the travel is completed on or before August 31, 2018.
Additional taxes may apply.
Alaska Airlines travelers can access the following links to rebook their flight or apply for a refund online.
Alaska also provided the additional information:
- Minors traveling unaccompanied will not be accepted on flights to the affected cities during this period.
- Minors traveling unaccompanied will be accepted on flights from the affected cities during this period.
- Pets traveling in the hold or shipped via Alaska - Air Cargo will not be accepted on flights to the affected cities during this period.
- Pets traveling in the hold or shipped via Alaska - Air Cargo will not be accepted on flights from the affected cities during this period.
- Passenger traveling with their pets in the cabin will be accepted on flights to the above cities.
- Passenger traveling with their pets in the cabin will be accepted on flights from the above cities.
- Hotel/Food/Ground Transportation amenities will not be provided by Alaska Airlines.
Hawaiian Airlines Details
Hawaiian Airlines is permitting a one-time reservation change or waiver of change fee on its flights or codeshare flights departing to or from, within or via the state of Hawaii (LIH/HNL/OGG/JHM/MKK/LNY/ITO/KOA) through August 26, 2018.
According to Hawaiian, the details are as follows:
- Ticket* was issued on/before August 21, 2018.
*Must be identified by a 13-digit ticket serial number beginning with Hawaiian Airlines code “173.” Tickets issued by other airlines with a different carrier code (ticket numbers not beginning with “173”) are subject to the waiver policy of other airline.
- Affected flight(s) is/are originally scheduled for travel from August 21, 2018, through August 26, 2018.
- Changes must be rebooked and ticketed to new flights no later than September 9, 2018.
- New travel must commence no later than September 9, 2018.
Hawaiian Airlines also provided the following criteria details:
- In addition, for changes made to new flights on or before September 9, 2018, any resulting difference in fare(s) will be waived provided that change is made to the same compartment (i.e. Coach to Coach or First Class to First Class) and there is no change in origin and destination.
- For changes made to new flights after September 9, 2018, the change fee will be waived but applicable difference in fare will be collected.
- Changes to origin and/or destination or connecting/stopover point will be permitted without change fee and are subject to applicable fare difference.
- Normal refund rules will apply. There will be no waiver of any applicable cancellation fees for refundable tickets and no refunds permitted on non-refundable tickets related to this event.
- All changes must be made by calling our U.S. Reservations Department at 800.367.5320.
Full details are available at Hawaiian Airlines.
American Airlines Details
American Airlines is waiving the change fee for those traveling to, through or from Kauai (LUH), Kona (KOA), Maui (OGG) and Oahu (HNL).
According to American Airlines travel alert, the change fee may be waived if:
- Tickets are for an American Airlines flight.
- Tickets were purchased by August 20, 2018.
- Travel was scheduled from August 23 - August 26, 2018.
- Ticket holders can travel August 21 - August 30, 2018.
- Origin or destination city remain the same.
- Rebook in the same cabin or pay the difference.
American Airlines also notes if your trip is eligible, you can change it online here or by calling reservations.
According to United Airlines, ticket holders for United flights departing between August 21 and August 26, 2018 to LUH, KOA, OGG, ITO and HNL will be able to rebook with the change fee and any difference in fare waived.
United Airlines Details:
- The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing between August 21, 2018, and August 26, 2018, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.
- For wholly rescheduled travel departing after August 26, 2018, or for a change in departure or destination city, the change fee will be waived, but a difference in fare may apply. Rescheduled travel must be completed within one year from the date when the ticket was issued.
Delta Airlines Details
Delta has proactively issued a weather waiver for all Hawaiian airports as Hurricane Lane has strengthened to become one of only two Category 5 hurricanes to come within 350 miles of Hawaii. The waiver is in effect for August 23 and 24, 2018, and allows customers travelling through Honolulu (HNL), Kona (KOA), Lihue (LIH) and Maui (OGG) to make a one-time change to their travel itinerary without incurring a fee.
The airline has also posted waivers for the same dates for travel through the Japanese airports of Fukouka, Kansai and Nagoya, as well as Seoul, South Korea, in anticipation of Typhoons Cimaron and Soulik.