Most recent articles
Investments by Major U.S. Hotel Chains Reveal They’re Bullish on Mexico
Wynhdham Grand Cancun
Major U.S. hotel chains are bullish on Mexico, as evidenced by their recent investments in increasing their portfolios in the country. Following are some of the key U.S. major-brand properties that have recently come online or are in the development pipeline.
The largest hotel company in the world consistently opens new hotels at a rapid clip. Marriott’s investment in Mexico is no exception.
“The Marriott portfolio has been steadily expanding in Mexico for quite some time and is expected to continue growing, with currently over 40 projects in the pipeline,” said Louise Bang, regional vice president, sales and distribution for Marriott in the Caribbean, Mexico and Latin America. “Following a similar trend in the U.S. of visiting so-called second cities, I expect to see increased interest in towns like Guadalajara, Puebla, Merida and Guanajuato, among others, that provide visitors with unique historical and cultural experiences. With the growing Marriott portfolio in Mexico, Marriott Bonvoy travelers will increasingly be able to find their home away from home in more destinations across the country.”
Following are the major new and upcoming Marriott properties in Mexico:
- JW Marriott Guadalajara (Opened Q2)
- Courtyard by Marriott Mazatlan Beach Resort (Accepting reservations starting December 15, 2022)
- The Riviera Maya EDITION (Expected opening Q4)
- The St. Regis Kanai Resort, Riviera Maya (Expected opening Q4)
- Courtyard by Marriott Tuxpan Veracruz (Accepting reservations starting October 1, 2022)
- Aloft Guadalajara Sur (Opening September 2022)
Hilton Hotels & Resorts
With more than 85 hotels open in Mexico and 30 in the pipeline, Hilton has put a major investment into Mexico. Hilton opened nine hotels in the country between July 2021 and June 30 and expects to open five by the end of 2020, including Waldorf Astoria Cancun; Motto by Hilton Tulum, the first Motto in the Caribbean and Latin America; and Tru by Hilton Monterrey Fundidora, the first Tru in Mexico.
Recently opened properties include the following:
- Hilton Tulum Riviera Maya All-Inclusive Resort (Opened May 12, 2022)
- Conrad Tulum Riviera Maya (Opened January 15, 2022)
- Hilton Garden Inn Cancun Airport (Opened March 2022)
- Hilton Cancun, an All-Inclusive Resort (Opened November 2021)
- Hilton Vallarta Riviera All-Inclusive Resort (Opened August 16, 2021)
- Waldorf Astoria Cancun (Scheduled to open November 1, 2022, next to Hilton Cancun)
Among other openings, Hyatt is set to introduce two new brands, Park Hyatt and The Unbound Collection, in Mexico.
Expected to open in 2022:
- Andaz Mexico City Condesa
- Hyatt Regency Mexico City Insurgentes Secrets Impression Isla Mujeres
- NUMU (The Unbound Collection by Hyatt)
- Rancho Pescadero (The Unbound Collection by Hyatt)
- Hyatt House Monterrey Valle
Future anticipated openings through 2024:
- Park Hyatt Los Cabos and Residences
- Grand Hyatt Cancun Beach Resort
- Thompson Monterrey
- Park Hyatt Mexico City
Wyndham Hotels & Resorts
Wyndham has also been busy in Mexico, recently announcing the opening of the Wyndham Grand Cancun All-Inclusive Resort & Villas.
Set for a November opening, the property, located in Cancun’s Hotel Zone, is part of the luxury Wyndham Grand collection, which counts 65 hotels and resorts worldwide.
The 364-room Wyndham Grand Cancun will feature seven restaurants offering cuisine ranging from Mexican to Italian, Brazilian and Japanese. Other features include five bars, four pools and a variety of daily activity options.
Following are some other Wyndham properties set for Mexico:
- Wyndham Alltra Cancun All Inclusive Resort
- Wyndham Alltra Playa del Carmen Adults Only All Inclusive
- Grand Palladium Colonial Riviera Maya, All Inclusive Resort
- Grand Palladium Kantenah Riviera Maya, All Inclusive Resort
- Grand Palladium WhiteSand Riviera Maya, All Inclusive Resort
- TRS Yucatan Riviera Maya, Adults Only– All Inclusive Resort