Radisson Blu launched its new initiative, Blu Planet for Meetings, with the goal of making meetings carbon-free at Radisson Blu hotels worldwide by the end of the year. The program uses First Climate’s carbon offsetting projects to help fight global warming and support the UN Sustainable Development goals.
“Since the COP21 climate accord, an increasing number of corporations are concerned about fighting climate change and about reducing their carbon footprints, also when they plan meetings,” says Inge Huijbrechts, VP of responsible business for Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group. “We know that face-to-face meetings are crucial to business success. Research has shown they boost profitability. With Blu Planet for Meetings, we help our guests have successful [face-to-face meetings and events] … and help protect our environment.”
All sustainable companies calculate and report their company’s carbon footprint based on their own energy consumption, purchased energy and their supply chain footprint, which includes business travel. For each meeting held at a Radisson Blu hotel, the carbon footprint will be calculated and offset through Gold Standard carbon offsetting projects in Guatemala, Malawi and India, linked to water sustainability.
“[Radisson Blu] is delighted to partner with First Climate on dedicated water projects that will have a positive impact on communities as we help provide safe drinking water,” Huijbrechts said.
Blu Planet for Meetings’ unique carbon offsetting programs, combined with a series of sustainable features, ensures Radisson Blu is “as committed as you are” to making your meeting green and safe.
Sustainable features at Radisson Blu properties include:
- Advanced technology in rooms and meeting rooms, reducing paper use.
- Brain Food for Meetings – an innovative food offering that maintains attention span.
- A water-light Super Breakfast.
- Eco-labeled venues with labels like GreenLeaders, Earthcheck or Green Key.
- Waste recycling in all hotels.
- Safehotels Alliance certification at 160+ hotels worldwide.
- Blu Planet towel reuse program combining the environmental benefits with bringing safe drinking water to communities in need.
- #BluRoutes – running and cycling routes to connect to your destination.
- “This Works” all natural amenities.
Hujibrechts also said that Radisson Blu will encourage meeting planners to incorporate sustainable activities into their agenda, such as a city bicycle tour, local tree planting or a zero-carbon picnic in the park.